Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The little brown dress

The fashion anti-statement was carried out by a performance artist named Alex who designed and wore a little brown dress every day for one year (yes, of course she washed it.)

Her statement:
I am making one small, personal attempt to confront consumerism by refusing to change my dress for 365 days.

In this performance, I intend to reject our sweat-shop-supporting economy of over-consumption, and the bill of goods that has been sold, especially to women, about what makes a person good, attractive and interesting. Clothes are certainly part of this image, and the expectation is immense. The economic resources required to regularly purchase newly-manufactured clothing in retail stores are staggering - a hundred dollars for one new shirt!

As a brand new working mom with a new family budget, these economies are coming sharply into focus for me. Even my beloved second-hand shopping requires time, effort, and energy that saps my attention from the more vital parts of my life - being with my family, making artwork, tending the garden, growing my community, keeping a watchful eye on the government, reading new books, learning new skills, singing new songs ... I intend to make good use of my energy saved!


On her site, there's a blog and photo gallery and while the project ended on July 7th, it's still kind of interesting to read her journal.

Written by atomicweightofcheese @ 3:41 PM ||

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

GetIndyKnow.com blogs are collections of short, frequently updated posts by members of the Grand Island community and Nebraska natives. Bloggers, and comment posters, are solely responsible for what they say.

If you're interested in blogging for GetIndyKnow, email us at yo@getindyknow.com with some sample entries and we'll check 'em out.
elementopia